Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Dream Interpretation -- Piet Hein

       
(Poem #1653) Dream Interpretation
 Simplified.

 Everything's either
 concave or -vex,
 so whatever you dream
 will be something with sex.
-- Piet Hein
"Epigrammatic" is too weak a word for today's poem - it is one of those
poems that seems to have been written to be quoted. It has that combination
of insight and pithy phrasing that make it almost irresistible to drop
into a discussion wherever appropriate (and often when not!), and needless
to say, I have been far from immune to the temptation. (Anecdotally, it
really does work to get someone off that particular hobbyhorse - there is
nothing much one can say in reply to it.)

I suspect part of my liking for the poem is the fact that Hein shares my
annoyance with the overpervasive aspects of dream interpretation and Freudian
psychology (in another of his grooks he says

  She gave me hope
  she gave me love,
    with bounty unalloyed.
  But what she had of faith,
  alas,
    she gave to Freud.

which leaves his feelings on the matter in little doubt). I also love his
ability to sum up an entire argument in a few well-chosen words (a talent
that is very much in evidence throughout his body of work) - there is a
satisfaction to watching him at work that is quite independent of which side
of the argument he's chosen.

That said, I must admit I like this more as a quote than as a poem - the
verse itself feels slightly 'off', so it's not as much fun to recite as some
of Hein's other grooks. Nevertheless, it's definitely one of the more
memorable ones.

martin

11 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

sildenafil said...

This is my lasted poem, I hope you like it dear blogger.

I do not like the silly poem,
I do not like the angsty poem,
I do not like the ridiculous poem,
I do not like the damned poem,
I just wanna be like him.
I just wanna be like her
I just wanna dance with them
yeap yeap yeap 23jj

23jj

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this interesting and knowledgeable article.plumlivinghealth.org |

provitalhealth.org |

northernhealthplan.org |

oralhealthexam.org |

cwyzehealth.org |

cwyzehealthcare.org |

healthykskids.org |

biohealthchip.org |

meridianwomenhealth.org |

heroeshealthproject.org |

MySaudiJobs said...

This is awesome content mate, thank-you. find job in saudi arabia here.
mysaudijobs

Jobs-In-Riyadh

Jobs In Jeddah

Electrical Engineer Jobs in Saudi

Arabia

Amad Arsal said...

I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge.Thanks.
TheNethawks
quotedpictures
Solutiondots
nadeemkhawar
mysaudijobs

Noel Carney said...

This is really good information I have visited this blog to read something fresh and I really admire you efforts in doing so Logitrain

Unknown said...

wonderful and nice blog
http://thenethawks.com/

Rightjobs.pk said...

It is really informative blog.I hope you will share more interesting articles with us.
Thanks for this.

Post a Comment