Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Those Winter Sundays -- Robert Hayden

Guest poem sent in by Aamir Ansari
(Poem #975) Those Winter Sundays
 Sundays too my father got up early
 And put his clothes on in the blueback cold,
 then with cracked hands that ached
 from labor in the weekday weather made
 banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

 I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
 When the rooms were warm, he'd call,
 and slowly I would rise and dress,
 fearing the chronic angers of that house,

 Speaking indifferently to him,
 who had driven out the cold
 and polished my good shoes as well.
 What did I know, what did I know
 of love's austere and lonely offices?
-- Robert Hayden
I came across this poem in an anthology I'd bought at a flea market. I was
touched by its heartfelt admission of the deep regret that follows youth as
insight develops with the passage of time. The insistent reproach ("What did
I know, what did I know/ of love's austere and lonely offices) makes it
particularly heart-breaking. A haunting poem, not easily forgotten.

Aamir

Links:

  Biography of Hayden: [broken link] http://www.poets.org/poets/poets.cfm?prmID=200

28 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Soccera185 said...

Tell me what you think the setting is, narrators is, and the ideas of the
peom for Those Winter Sundays.

Unknown said...

Many humans anticipate Coach Outlet
are too big-ticket to buy. Pink Coach Hamptons
is conceivably one of the beautiful accessories of adapted a part of adolescent women. It is difficult to access bargain Coach Gallery
. But do you apperceive why handbags Coach Ergo
are so expensive?

kamagra oral jelly said...

ok you ruin my day... since I read the word father I piss off, sorry about that.
Thanks for share.

kids games said...

Thanks for sharing this quality information with us and i like this. I hope you post again soon.

Visit to play games friv than play games 2 girls and play kids games online free

Andres Izal said...

Very nice website and articles. I will be realy very pleased to visit your website. Now I am found that we actually want. I check your website everyday and attempt to learn something from a blog. Thank you and looking forward to your new submit.

software drivers download


Luong Cong Huynh said...

Hello! I just want to offer you a huge thumbs up for the excellent info you have right here on this post. I'll be returning to your blog for more soon.
Kizi 123|
Friv 234|
Friv

Lucas said...

Thank you for sharing a great information and useful. it really necessary and timely for me at this time. I wanted to share this information with my friends on the social network facebook.!
Friv 10000
Friv

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing. Can you play more games at: Friv100 | Kizi4 | happy wheel

packers and movers in mumbai said...

Welcome to Indian Packers and Movers in Mumbai, We have a realistic team of professionals in Moving & Packing, Loading & Unloading and Transportation of your expensive goods with care.
Movers and Packers in Mumbai
Packers and Movers in Grant Road
Packers and Movers in Mumbai Central
Packers and Movers in Mahalaxmi
Packers and Movers in Prabhadevi

packers and movers in mumbai said...

Welcome to Indian Packers and Movers in Mumbai, well-known packing and moving service provider. Indian Packers and Movers in Mumbai deal Domestic, National and International Packers Movers services at economical rate. All the procedure of packing & unpacking, loading and unloading is done by our professionals.
Movers and Packers in Mumbai
Packers and Movers in Grant Road
Packers and Movers in Mumbai Central
Packers and Movers in Mahalaxmi
Packers and Movers in Prabhadevi

packers and movers in hyderabad said...

Many packers and movers Hyderabad, Telangana may boast about offering a huge list of services with little to no skill or expertise to carry out those services as required. You need to check with every packer and mover if they have the experience to fulfil your specific requirements properly, and will complete your relocation in the most cost-effective way possible.
Packers and Movers in Chanda Nagar
Packers and Movers in Nallagandla
Packers and Movers in Kukatpally
Packers and Movers in Miyapur

himajamallireddy said...

kingroot download
root apk
kingroot for android
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. If you are looking for antivirus security for your PC and any other digital devices than. Visit@: my sites

raviveeramala said...

framaroot
framaroot apk
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. If you are looking for antivirus security for your PC and any other digital devices than.

Packers And Movers Mumbai said...

Superb post, we enjoyed each and everything as per written in your post. Thank you for this informative article because it’s really helpful, I really like site.
Please visit our website: Packers And Movers Mumbai

Packers And Movers Bhandup Mumbai
Packers And Movers Bhavani Shankar Road Mumbai
Packers And Movers Borivli Mumbai
Packers And Movers Chakala MIDC Mumbai

Victorya said...

It is a great article. You will surely like this also because it is a great stuff apk

sophieturner said...

Connect brother printer to wifi MAC computer is a simple cycle, you should simply follow the fundamental strides to finish the means with no interference.

cheap nursing writing company said...

I love it here. Keep sharing your good vibes. I love them Are you also searching for Cheap Nursing Writing Company? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering cheap assignments to students without having to break the bank

cheap assignment writing services said...

I love this. It is soo informative. Are you also searching for cheap assignment writing services we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering the best services to students without having to break the bank

cheap assignment help said...

Good blog. Keep sharing. I love them Are you also searching for Cheap assignment help? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering cheap assignments to students without having to break the bank

123bet said...

Great content and commenting, thank you for letting me post here. tarea อุบล

Post a Comment