Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

Poetry for Supper -- R S Thomas

Taking my cue from Martin...
(Poem #187) Poetry for Supper
'Listen, now, verse should be as natural
As the small tuber that feeds on muck
And grows slowly from obtuse soil
To the white flower of immortal beauty.'

'Natural, hell! What was it Chaucer
Said once about the long toil
That goes like blood to the poem's making?
Leave it to nature and the verse sprawls,
Limp as bindweed, if it break at all
Life's iron crust. Man, you must sweat
And rhyme your guts taut, if you'd build
Your verse a ladder.'

        'You speak as though
No sunlight ever surprised the mind
Groping on its cloudy path.'

'Sunlight's a thing that needs a window
Before it enters a dark room.
Windows don't happen.'

        So two old poets,
Hunched at their beer in the low haze
Of an inn parlour, while the talk ran
Noisily by them, glib with prose.
-- R S Thomas
Another slightly more explicit take on the divide between 'natural' and
'constructed' poems [1].

"This is the nearest Thomas comes to a comic poem. He has an ear for Welsh
dialogue, which he seems to use relatively rarely. Despite the imagery, one gets
a real sense of the two old poets' voices in the poem as they talk over the
nature of their art in a country pub. Thomas, one may suppose, is ultimately on
the side of the second poet who believes that inspiration needs the vehicle of
craftsmanship before it can fully come through."

    -- George MacBeth

I tend to agree with Thomas' point of view - I've always felt that much of what
is passed off as 'natural' these days is just laziness or shoddy workmanship.
That said, I would be the first to admit that there are contexts in which free
verse is far more apt than verse constrained by metre and rhyme; conversely,
there are contexts which cry out for the use of specific forms of prosody. The
true skill lies in knowing when to use which.

thomas.

PS. I should add (before anyone points out my obtuseness) (Hi Martin!) that the
last line suddenly puts the whole poem into a new perspective - that poets, by
concentrating on the how and what of writing poetry, often ignore the why [2].

[1] See yesterday's poem, 'By-the-way', poem #186
for the source of my inspiration.
[2] Isn't it amazing how so many poems stand and fall on the strength of their
last lines? Browse through the Minstrels archives for more examples -
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/

32 comments: ( or Leave a comment )

Floor Decals said...

Greetings! I would just like to express my gratitude for the cool information contained in this post. I will be visiting your site for more awesome Floor Decals

Lush Five said...

That’s been one of my mantras – focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.Lush Five

Chicago Limousine Services said...

Penis enlargement pills have been proven is the best way to make the penis bigger and effective to increase men’s sexual performance.

marion faldas said...

I don't even remember what a positive attitude feels like. I've tried to read Norman Vincent Peale's "The Power of Positive Thinking" twice, but I couldn't relate to much of it at all. My bipolar tends to strangle the positive out of every aspect of my life. The demons destroy me. marion faldas

Bigcommerce Offer App said...

This can be a great sound judgment post. Worthwhile one who is merely seeking the means relating to this element. It's going to undoubtedly help teach me personally. Bigcommerce Offer App

Anthony Ammerman said...

This can be a great sound judgment post. Worthwhile one who is merely seeking the means relating to this element. It's going to undoubtedly help teach me personally. Anthony Ammerman

zanzibar hotels said...

This is a really cool blog. I am a frequent visitor of this site. Read the news on the earthquake. It was really sad news. Keep posting more such information’s. All the very best to you and your team. Good luck.zanzibar hotels

mykonos villa said...

Such a very informatics post, as I have browsed the majority of your posts. But I found this post is almost certainly where I got the most useful information for my research. It is really very interesting to read this particular post. I just would like to say thanks for your great efforts.mykonos villa

sell structured settlement said...

Today I informed you about a sell structured settlement website. It is most authentic and informative site. You should be visit on it.
Thanks

Spread Betting Forum said...

I notice that all of them state that you need to change the JVM values, but it seems to be quite random as to what values are actually put in there. Is there any formula to use in relation to the types of devices and configuration values.

Yacon Root said...

Thanks for such an interesting article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it here.Yacon Root

Buy Wholesale Bed Linen Online said...

This is a decent post. This post provides actually quality data. I’m undoubtedly planning to investigate it. extremely terribly helpful tips area unit provided here. YourBuy Wholesale Bed Linen Online

Safari Holidays said...

Nice poem, I shall read it each night on safari.

Unknown said...

But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.how to make apple passbook

Hotel Towels in Bulk said...

For instance in the seven wastes, Overproduction is often considered one of the worst wastes because it creates most of the others. Hotel Towels in Bulk

luxury gulet cruise said...

Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject luxury gulet cruise

bowtrol colon cleanse review said...

Hey very nice blog!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also?I am glad to find numerous useful info here in the put up, we want work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . .bowtrol colon cleanse review

Unknown said...

Berita KPU Indonesia hari ini berita kpu hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Berita Liga Champion update hari ini liga champion hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Kabar Berita Capres Jokowi capres jokowi hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Berita Informasi Timnas Indonesia timnas indonesia hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Berita Partai Hanura partai hanura hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Kabar Berita Prabowo Subianto prabowo subianto hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Berita Partai Politik Indonesia partai politik hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Berita Calon presiden 2014 Indonesia calon presiden 2014 hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Kabar Berita Seputar Piala Dunia jadwal piala dunia hari ini Di Liputan6.com
Kabar Berita Pertandingan Liga Inggris klasemen liga inggris hari ini Di Liputan6.com

Incontri Ticino said...

What is success? I think it is a mixture of having a flair for the thing that you are doing; knowing that it is not enough, that you have got to have hard work and a certain sense of purpose. Incontri Ticino

Accredited GED Diploma Program said...

Nice attempt…all I might say is that your effort appearance sincere. You’d be happy to listen to that I fully conform to your viewpoint. However, you wish to relinquish additional clarification to hit the success chart.

Visit: Accredited GED Diploma Program


Education for Working People said...

Very nice I accept as true with your thoughts. Many thanks a great deal I’ve benefited therefore usually I’ll visit your website.

High School Diploma Online said...

Great lovely post i have got here Thanks for sharing,

Post a Comment